Saturday, July 30, 2011

Three-Mile Tour




Yesterday, I received a beautiful orchid from Alyson. Please avert your eyes away from the bald chick wearing a mask and focus on the flower.

My Aunt Chris and Uncle Jerry brought me a new pet that is hypoallergenic. I am now the proud mother of a FurReal Friends newborn kitten. Actually, the cat looks like my cat, Duke, and he even has his high pitched squeal (he meows and purrs). I have named the kitten "Chalmers" because I am still obsessed with that word/name.

Last night, I got some legitimate sleep. Was it the sleeping pill? Maybe. Was it NOT being hooked up to an IV? Definitely. I managed to sleep in until 7:30 this morning, and then I went for a three-mile walk around the floor. This is a tedious feat, as it takes about 16 laps per mile, and I have to hit two buttons to open doors. My shins were sore from wearing my Nike Free shoes yesterday (barefoot shoes), and so I had my mom bring up my actual running shoes. This was the first day I got to walk FREE of an IV pole. I didn't have to think about tripping over the pole's "feet" every step. I iced my shins after the workout today--it was nice to take care of a "sports injury"--that means I'm actually getting something out of my walks.

Today the doctor (who saw me walking this morning) was again impressed with my progress. I told him that I wanted to be the "best" transplant patient (it's a competition with everything for me). He couldn't give me an exact date for my departure, but he was going to talk to the doctor officially assigned to my case. After he saw my picture of my family at Machu Picchu, I asked his opinion about traveling to Ireland/Scotland/England next July. He seemed to think that venture was safe enough. My immune system will be somewhat compromised for the next year or two, so it will be a while before I go to the other five places on the top of my list...China, South Africa, Tanzania, Cambodia, and Belize (How quick will this chest wound heal? I want to snorkel!). His comment was much more promising then when I asked Dr. Petersen if I could still go to China in July, after initial diagnosis. He said, "Can you get your money back?"

I had a surprise visit from Mike Carroll this morning, and I have spent the afternoon intermittently reading and dozing off. Brian is coming for dinner, so he will save me from room service. I feel bad he has to sleep on the rock posing as a bed.

We take possession of the apartment (close to 144th and Maple) on Monday, but I'm not sure which day I'll actually be released next week. However, the apartment will be all set up and waiting for me.

Time is actually going pretty fast in here, and now that I can move around freely, I don't feel like I'm trapped here...

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on losing the IV pole! And your walks are making me think I need to get off my butt. We've been talking about you tonight- Grady thinks you should be "Tweeting" instead of blogging. He's pretty sure you'd be trending- whatever that means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are free of the IV pole and able to go for walks. That must feel terrific! Let me know as soon as you move into your new digs.
    Love,
    Di

    ReplyDelete