Friday, July 29, 2011

My Label: "The Model Patient"




Thanks to the new sleeping pill, I managed to get close to eight hours of sleep. I went to bed at about 9:40 last night, and woke up briefly at 3ish. I had to get a couple of pain pills to eliminate my sore back FROM THE BED. I also decided that the bed is more comfortable if I slept the non-traditional way, with my head at its foot.

I decided at 5:40am, when I was hungry, that it was time to go for my "run" (brisk walk toting an IV pole). This morning I plugged my ears with Irish tunes; the beat was fast, and my walking mirrored the music. The hallways were empty, and I impressed the nurses with my blazing speed. I stopped a couple of times to grab some paper towels to wipe off my sweaty, shiny head. After 40 minutes, with the help of my step counter, I calculated that I almost walked two and a half miles. It was the first time since March that I really felt like I worked out. I even got a blister on my toe (a sure sign of success).

Later, when the PA came into my room, she referred to me as "The Model Patient." Other than some minor annoyances, I have tolerated the transplant and the "Kentucky Fried Chicken Bucket of Pills" well. I am glad to be winning the contest so far for "Best Transplant Patient." This afternoon I will work on my acceptance speech.

My mom has insisted that we have a baby monitor for the apartment, since we have two bedrooms (thanks LWC for letting us borrow one). Most 33-year-olds might get offended at the mere suggestion, but this has some serious potential. I could be the "Ghost of Christmas Past"...oh, the possibilities are endless.

I have spent my time today reading a potential SEED book, The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth, and intermittently closing my eyes to visualize the book better.

Mom, Gene, Connie, Kara, and Aunt Chris are coming to see me this afternoon, so I suspect I will get fired up soon.

UNMC Prisoner Visitor Log:
Mom and Dad
Brian
Jill Brandt
Kara (Heimann) and Mark Smith
Wendy Henrichs
Linda Texley
Shelly Dowding
Jane Holt
Mary Ford
Colleen Ogden
Laura Runge
Courtney and Cody Mann
Ken Flowerday
Julie Harder
Wayne and Betty Miller
Connie and Gene Carroll
Chris and Jerry Shriver
Laurie Witters-Churchill
Jess Jolkowski
Karen Hand
Janet Zillig
Joe Schlegelmilch
Michelle Paxton

I also got a ridiculous stack of cards in the mail today--it was awesome. I have complained that Superintendent Steve Joel has not sent me a "Get Well" card, so today I got one from "him." I'm pretty sure he would not send a card that says "Kitties!" on it (thanks, Mom). Linda Texley brought me some toys from Rocket Fizz, and I'm happy to report that my paddle ball skills have not improved since childhood.

Auf Wiedersehen

No comments:

Post a Comment