Thursday, July 12, 2012
Sunny in Dublin
Believe it or not, it was actually sunny this morning. All of the locals seemed cheerier, especially a fish delivery guy that Brian even talked to.
We slept in a little, and then we walked over to The Queen of Tarts for breakfast. I had an apple scone, and Brian had a "hearty breakfast" (which included one egg that was "sunny side up)--he would have made four. We both had fresh squeezed orange juice. Brian did complain that he got three triangles of toast. He wondered who was eating the other half.
Today we wandered around the city, dropping in a couple of shops and looking at the outside of things. We skipped lunch and took a lengthy nap. Hopefully, we are now adjusted to the time change.
This evening we are going to the Brazen Head. I booked an evening of traditional Irish folk music and storytelling. It might be my night to try the Guiness (I think I spelled it wrong).
After a bright blue sky this morning, it is gloomy and gray outside.
Tomorrow we pick up our rental car, which we are a little nervous about particularly in the city. Not only do we have to drive on "the other side of the road," but we get to navigate roundabouts. Theoretically, tomorrow night we will be in Kinsale, which is by the ocean (or sea). It has turned into a "foodie" town, so I'm expecting some good restaurants. En route, we are going to see The Rock of Cashel and any other roadside interest.
As we make our way around the island, we have some longer drives (2-3 hours some days). Good thing I made some CDs of Irish and Scottish music. I hope I am a better map reader (and the GPS works) because I have been really turned around here. There is no such thing as a straight street.
I like to embrace the local culture, but I hope we are not required to learn an Irish jig. These legs don't dance. To quote "Friends," "It's if [my] arms and legs are independent from [my] body." Chandler was talking about Michael Flatly from Lord of the Dance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment