
Last year, on the first day of spring break, I found myself facing a leukemia diagnosis and a serious hospital stay. While our spring break is a little off the anniversary of my diagnosis, I was happy to have a day of relaxation and productivity. I rallied through all of my English 10 narratives, which were way more interesting than medical tests. Although, I do have to have an echocardiogram on Tuesday (to check for any heart damage from chemo, etc) and a trip to the plastic surgeon in Omaha.
I can't believe we are through third quarter already. I have been thoroughly enjoying teaching, and I suppose the break, while forced, was good for my sanity. My kids are really great, and they are very patient when my mouth dries up in the middle of a sentence, and I have to take a drink of water.
Track, on the other hand, is a bit of a disaster (for my running, that is). The second we leave the building, I am already several meters behind. I don't think I should expect much when my resting heart rate is somewhere between 100-114. I can run (if gravity is helping) for a couple of minutes, but then I need a couple of driveways to walk. While this is frustrating to someone who could always run at least three miles straight after taking time off, I am learning to adapt my goals. Perhaps, the kids will be inspired by my struggling on EVERY single run.
I am on a lower dosage of steroids now, so I'm hoping that my ginormous steroid face and gut will start to decrease.
Brian, my mom, and I are going to the Jimmy Buffett concert in Omaha (April), so I commissioned some woman on Etsy.com to crochet me a shark hat.
Daylight Savings time...the date isn't necessarily the same for switching in Europe. Kristin, Andrew, and I missed getting to the Louvre at a proper time, and Katherine and I were an hour late for Easter service at St. Mark's Cathedral in Venice.
To those of you on spring break, enjoy your week off, and tackle your list. Tomorrow, I'm reading and scoring a binder of narratives for the writing exam. Again, it will still be better than spending time in the hospital... I made sure my students know that I am working at district office on Monday when school resumes; I didn't want them to think I disappeared again.
No comments:
Post a Comment