Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The First Thing to Do Once Released From Prison

I took a three-hour nap this afternoon. That was as much sleep as I got in the cell last night. I have two happy, furry friends who won't leave me alone. I'm going to relax all day tomorrow, so I can make it through grad class tomorrow night. I'll be the one wearing a mask. Hopefully, if anyone shows up with a cold, they will think twice about staying, and I won't have to be the one to leave.

I'm watching Andrew Zimmern in Chengdu, China, as he lives what was supposed to be my summer vacation. I am not a very good vicarious traveler.

Today's question to the doctor: So while I'm doing treatment this summer (and if I don't have a bone marrow transplant right away), can I escape somewhere for a four-day weekend? Response: Probably somewhere with an easy flight. Hawaii was too deemed too far away. I guess, with a compromised immune system, I wouldn't enjoy an outdoorsy vacation anyway.

A four day weekend is a far cry from what I was going to do this summer: I was supposed to spend two and a half weeks teaching a reading/writing workshop in Kazakhstan (by the way, I officially got the grant...but I can't go) and to travel for two weeks in China with Brian, but I guess I'll take what I can get.

I'm hoping to make enough money off my cancer policy to go on safari in Africa...

1 comment:

  1. You can drive to Wyoming with us. Heh. (I can safely assume you'd rather be in prison.)

    ReplyDelete