Sunday, March 8, 2015

Spring Break Adventures Day 1

Saturday, March 7:

I made it to spring break without latching onto any germs. Brian drove me to Omaha, and then he dropped me off at the front door. Somehow, he forgot to put his truck in park, and we were both out of the vehicle when it started rolling forward. Brian took the "No Parking" sign literally. Once it was safely parked, before driving itself through a barricade, I joked around with the security guy.

After having chemo on Friday, I had to get my white blood cell boosting drug, Neulasta, in its new form: a sticky patch system. The drug is delivered 27 hours after chemo, and until then, a green blinks light constantly goes off. I had to get a doctor's note, so the TSA didn't freak about the blinky box strapped to my arm. I also had to get a good old-fashioned pat down, and some guy commented that I got a full body massage for free. The TSA lady liked my Prana pants, and she wrote down the name of them, so she could get some.

It is impossible to escape the Omaha airport without seeing someone, and I ran into Niki's sister and her family heading off to Cancun. I bought my usual breakfast (American terminal side): a Rice Krispie bar and a bottle of Mountain Dew. I had Priority Access (maybe because I used frequent flier miles--I paid $16 in taxes for my multiple leg flight), so I was able to board early. For your information, a side effect of chemo for me are gaseous issues, so I was silently thinking of the SNL skit where the flight attendants are boarding everyone by strange categories: clappers when the plane lands, people who fart...yeah.

Miraculously, I had ample leg room, and I said next to a maybe 12-year-old boy (who had serious ADD issues (every five minutes, he pulled out a different device or book). I managed to read most of a graphic novel, Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh. 

I had a long layover in Dallas, so I ate at TGIF, where I had an Elvis like waiter. He saw my crocodile necklace and told me when I left, "Keep rocking the croc." 

I finished my graphic novel and bought a NY Times Bestseller, Chelsea Handler's travel memoir, which is not something I would normally gravitate to, as she exhibits some of the worst ugly American behaviors in various places all over the world, including while on safari in South Africa. Regardless, it was funny to read, and I charged through 146 pages on my second flight. 

The plane to Greensboro-Wintsin Salem-High Point was a very small commercial flight. With Priority Access, I managed to stash my backpack in an overhead compartment, but the walk to the retsroom felt like a walk of shame. I had to gallop sideways down the aisle, while simultaneously ducking my head and ricocheting like a pin ball all the way to the back.

Kat and her husband Jonathan picked me up at their tiny airport covered in plastic scaffolding, and we headed to a burger joint in Greensboro: Hop's Burger Bar. Kat just moved to a cute little house. There are white doors everywhere, and I keep losing my room. 

Sunday, March 8:

Two hours of Spring Forward for me...

Kat is preaching this morning, filling in for a woman who's husband committed suicide a few weeks ago. I'm not a church persons, but I like hearing Kat preach.

More adventures await...

No comments:

Post a Comment