Friday, November 21, 2014

I ♥ TK


Yesterday, we lost a special kid at Lincoln East High School.  Tony Kirkpatrick was in my Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition class last fall, and he ran cross-country his freshman year.  I admired Tony for his writing ability and his engagement in class discussions.  Everyday, he would wear an “I ♥ [insert something here]” t-shirt, and everyday it would make me smile.  We have a “no hat” rule at East High school, but during the holiday season, I let Tony wear his green elf hat in my classroom.  I will always think of him as a Christmas elf spreading love through the hallways of East High school via the messages on his chest.  
  
You are gone too soon.  As a tribute, I wanted to write a list of things I ♥.

I ♥ Tony

I ♥ exploring new places and having new adventures
I ♥ NY
I ♥ making people laugh
I ♥ holding koala bears
I ♥ getting pressured to run marathons
I ♥ telling stories
I ♥ drinking Mountain Dew at 7am
I ♥ sitting for hours at The Mill
I ♥ giving my cats hugs
I ♥ cooking in a Tuscan villa
I ♥ holding hands with a sloth
I ♥ Christmas traditions
I ♥ eating lunch with Jane & Crew
I ♥ my cats
I ♥ teaching English at East High
I ♥ creative writing
I ♥ reading the authors Hunter S. Thompson and Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
I ♥ surfing the Internet
I ♥ getting packages in the mail
I ♥ using the phrase “I can. I will!”
I ♥ my East High community
I ♥ getting support from my family, friends, colleagues, and strangers
I ♥ Australia (mostly for its animals)
I ♥ Italy
I ♥ listening to Irish folk music
I ♥ Belize for its pristine barrier reef
I ♥ flying through the air on a zipline
I ♥ tasting a flight at Zipline Brewery
I ♥ rappelling down waterfalls
I ♥ telling stories about hiking in the Grand Canyon
I ♥ eating stinky cheese
I ♥ drinking Cakebread and Rombauer wine
I ♥ reminiscing with my high school and college running buddies
I ♥ running
I ♥ coaching kids who want to be successful
I ♥ being around other people
I ♥ avoiding cleaning…anything
I ♥ having conversations with strangers
I ♥ skiing under a Vail blue sky
I ♥ hugging my cats when I get home from school
I ♥ snow days
I ♥ being the first person in line
I ♥ smelling new running shoes
I ♥ Sunday night dinners at my parents’ house
I ♥ seven-layer Jell-O
I ♥ eating sushi with friends
I ♥ buying jewelry at Tiffany
I ♥ making people laugh because of stupid things I do (ex: biting things in Australia)
I ♥ crocodiles, people with crocodile mentalities, and Crocodile Dundee
I ♥ chocolate in all its glorious forms (particularly German Ritter Sport)
I ♥ the three cats who are slowly taking over my house
I ♥ my husband, even though he’s the loudest man in the world
I ♥ my cross country kids
I ♥ running with my former teammates
I ♥ holding 57-pound wombats
I ♥ the phrase “I Can. I Will!”
I ♥ my SEED friends
I ♥ quoting lines from Dumb and Dumber and Friends
I ♥ East High Spartans
I ♥ checking things off of my bucket list
I ♥ multitasking
I ♥ designing shoes on NikeID
I ♥ being allowed in cages with exotic animals
I ♥ paragliding and riding in hot air balloons with Katherine
I ♥ buying Cadbury candy bars from vending machines in the London Tube
I ♥ reading books at the beach
I ♥ traveling with my friends and family
I ♥ passive aggressive road rage
I ♥ playing with kittens (even though they maul you)
I ♥ pulling pranks on Jane Holt
I ♥ anything made from Apple
I ♥ being the “mascot” at the cancer center
I ♥ buying lots of things at marathon expos, so I’m sure to finish the race
I ♥ finishers’ medals
I ♥ gray Moosejaw t-shirts
I ♥ U2 and Ani Difranco
I ♥ eating the extra Halloween candy
I ♥ love going into Whole Foods to buy a sandwich and coming out with a bag of groceries
I ♥ meeting people in foreign countries
I ♥ reading a book in one sitting
I ♥ attempting to speak Spanish while on vacation
I ♥ Robert Redford in The Great Gatsby
I ♥ eating Key Lime pie on the beach with (or in honor of) my grandma
I ♥ beef tenderloin in my sushi
I ♥ Jane’s Coke machine
I ♥ ordering things from Amazon
I ♥ reading memoirs about other people’s crazy lives
I ♥ Julie’s head art
I ♥ the Lincoln Running Company (and Ann Ringlein)
I ♥ NWU Cross Country
I ♥ the Cinque Terre
I ♥ snorkeling in the Galapagos Islands
I ♥ mountain biking in Colorado
I ♥ finishing under four hours for the marathon
I ♥ writing this list…and it could go on forever.


We ♥ Tony 

No comments:

Post a Comment